Almost all ladies pay special attention to the state of the manicure now a days, caring for it and constantly visiting the nail technician to apply a decorative coating. However, it is also important to monitor the health of the toenails, since sometimes the nail bed begins to deteriorate, therefore, to prevent the formation of significant defects, the restoration must begin immediately.
In case of complete or partial damage to the nails, they can be mechanically restored. Relatively recently, a procedure has appeared called prosthetics of toenails, which by a surgical method normalizes the condition of the plate.
Indications for the procedure
The standard technique is carried out after severe mechanical damage to the pedicure, when it stops growing (in whole or in part). In this case, it is not recommended to use cosmetic extensions, since it only temporarily restores the length of the plate, which may affect the features of its healing.
In addition, the build-up is not always carried out correctly, which is why pathogenic microflora can form under the artificial turf for the occurrence of a fungal infection.
Before visiting a doctor, pay attention to the indications for prosthetics:
- Ingrown nail;
- The appearance of a longitudinal or transverse crack extending into the base;
- Defects in the growth of the nail bed;
- Partial or complete damage to the surface after injury;
- Consequences of fighting fungal infection;
- The occurrence of strong detachments.
Defects can be congenital or develop over time. Regardless of this, the technology should be performed without fail to prevent further damage to the sensitive area.
The nail plate serves as a dense protective base for the finger and the nerve endings it contains, so any problems with the quality of the pedicure should be taken seriously.
How is the procedure performed?
Before performing any procedure, it is important to make sure that you have no contraindications for its implementation. This also applies to prosthetics, since the technique involves exposure to the damaged part of the nail.
One of the limitations for health reasons, doctors restrict people with diabetes mellitus, severe inflammatory processes, as well as the presence of open wounds and unhealed hematomas at the workplace.
As a standard, there are three options for installing a prosthesis, the choice of which depends on the complexity of the manipulations:
- With the use of nail mass. The technique involves the use of a special fixing composition and thin material. They combine with each other, applying in several layers to the desired density. The technology is quite complicated, which is why doctors do not always use it, but the result is natural.
- Polymer. For work, a mixture of special powder and liquid is used. They are create a pasty consistency, which is then used to restore the plate. The method can be used for full or partial prosthetics. In the first case, an impression is first made, and then a plate is prepared with its use, in the second, the mixture is poured directly onto the problem area and carefully adjusted.
- Gel. The procedure is similar to the classic build-up, however, the solution used for it has an antibacterial and hypoallergenic composition, which is identical to a natural nail. As in the previous methods, the gel fills the problem area, however, an ultraviolet lamp is used to dry it, which ensures rapid polymerization of the coating.
The most reliable option for prosthetics of a damaged manicure is the first. The combination of a thin nonwoven fabric and an anchorage base has a high adhesion to the treated surface, which makes the result look as natural as possible.
However, polymer is most often used for surface restoration. It is quite convenient to use, and it can be used not only for local damage, but also to restore even half of the nail.
Effect of the procedure
Prosthetics are usually used for severe nail damage, when more than half of its part is missing on the surface of the finger. Then, in order to protect the sensitive area during the regrowth period, the method is applied. In addition, the technology prevents re-damage to the matrix in its vulnerable state.
Because of this, the result of the procedure is saved on average up to 7-8 months. When the healthy nail grows back completely, the artificial part is removed. But the correction of prosthetics should be performed every 2-3 weeks so not to feel discomfort while walking and to prevent the creation of a mechanical load on the matrix of the nail bed.
Visually, the effect of prosthetics looks natural and is not very striking. Sometimes a camouflage base is used to create a small patch, similar to a ladies skin tone, then a pedicure looks neat even without a decorative coating.
Sometimes doctors allow clients to get a pedicure by applying regular nail polish. With the correct execution of the technique, the transition from the natural to the artificial part is completely imperceptible, so any processing will look natural.
Prosthetics of nails are used quite rarely, although almost everyone encounters mechanical damage to the pedicure area. Keep in mind that if treatment is neglected, it will not be possible to correctly restore the affected part.
Also pay attention to the fact that prosthetics is a medical procedure performed by a doctor. You cannot replace it with ordinary cosmetic extensions in order to prevent the emergence of pathogenic microflora, which will only spoil the result of the rehabilitation of the natural surface.