Laser hair removal for legs is a cosmetological method for the complete removal of unwanted hairs. It is carried out in specially equipped rooms with the use of modern laser devices. Allows, with a competent approach, to forget about hair on the legs for a long time. How to prepare for the procedure and how are the sessions going? How often should laser hair removal be performed to achieve best effect?
- Proven efficiency and other benefits of laser hair removal for legs
- What you need to know about pain relief?
- Contraindications for laser hair removal
- What areas of the legs are being lasered?
- Stages of legs laser hair removal procedure
- Preparing for laser
- Carrying out laser hair removal
- How many procedures are needed and what is the interval between them
- Post-procedure care
Proven efficiency and other benefits of laser hair removal for legs
In laser hair removal of the legs, a narrowly focused laser beam acts on melanin, a pigment contained in the hairs. The pigment absorbs laser radiation with heat and breaks down. Together with melanin, mitrix cells, which are responsible for hair development, are destroyed. Under the influence of rays, the metabolism of blood vessels that feed the hair follicles is disrupted. This leads to hair loss along with the bulb.
Depending on the hardness, hair color and skin type, the cosmetologist chooses the type of laser and its radiation length. The laser removes hairs that are in the growth stage that have enough melanin. Usually, only 20-25% of hairs are constantly in the active stage on the skin of the legs. Therefore, the procedure is repeated several times when the “dormant” hairs grow back.
Laser hair removal of legs is an effective method of removing unwantedhair, which allows you to forget about sugaring, and razor for up to 2-5 years. Other advantages of the procedure:
- Laser epilation of legs is equally suitable for men and women;
- Painlessness, no need to apply anesthesia;
- Lack of scars after sessions;
- Excludes trauma, penetration of infections into the skin;
- Suitable for sensitive skin type;
- Low percentage of allergic reactions, hypersensitivity.
Photo of laser hair removal of legs confirms the effectiveness.
What you need to know about pain relief?
Laser hair removal on legs involves non-contact treatment of the desired area of the skin. The cosmetologist selects the intensity and power of the beam individually, it is important to adjust the parameters of the equipment so that the procedure is as effective as possible and at the same time painless.
Most laser cosmetology machines are equipped with effective cooling systems that are activated in between laser pulses. For example, the Candela GentleLase Pro-U laser device is equipped with two cooling systems – air ACC (Air Cooling Compatible ™) and dynamic DCD (Dynamic Cooling Device ™), which provides cryogen pain relief.
When using devices without cooling systems for laser hair removal of legs or with a high pain threshold for men and women, cosmetologists use special gel-local anesthetics.
Contraindications for laser hair removal
Laser depilation of legs has a number of contraindications. You can not remove hair with a laser in the following cases:
- Pregnancy, radiation can adversely affect the development of the fetus;
- Clients under 18 years old, due to unstable hormonal levels;
- If there are open injuries or age spots in the treatment area;
- Endocrine disorders;
- Oncology or predisposition to malignant tumors;
- Diseases of the skin (psoriasis, photodermatitis, neurodermatitis);
- The presence of birthmarks, moles, keloid scars;
- Varicose veins or other blood diseases;
- Allergic rashes;
- Increased body temperature;
- Infectious diseases;
It’s prohibited to perform laser hair removal of the legs while taking certain hormonal drugs, pain relievers. Some experts refer to the contraindications of the pathology of the cardiovascular system or pulmonary tuberculosis.
Women are not advised to resort to laser hair removal during their periods. The pain threshold is increased and the procedure will bring discomfort.
What areas of the legs are being lasered?
The price list for the services of a cosmetologist various areas of the body are indicated that can be treated with a laser. You need to consult with a specialist to find out the nuances of the proposed service. For example, many are interested in complete laser hair removal of the legs. During the procedure, the legs are treated from toes to thighs. Sometimes hairs have to be removed from the back of the feet. Depending on the treated area, the cost and duration of the session is different.
Full leg laser is the most demanded procedure. But experts can eliminate excess hair only from certain areas:
- Thighs (inside and outside);
- Phalanges of fingers;
Laser hair removal of the lower leg for women will be cheaper than the same procedure for men.
Stages of legs laser hair removal procedure
Correctly performed laser hair removal procedure for legs is a guarantee of smooth skin for a long time. Therefore, it is important to follow certain rules when preparing for the session, during the procedure and after it.
Preparing for laser
In order for laser hair removal of the legs to be as successful and comfortable as possible, it is important for the client to start preparations 4-2 weeks before the scheduled cosmetic session.
You cannot sunbathe before the procedure, visiting tanning salons is prohibited. In the summertime, it is worth applying sunscreen to your skin if UV radiation cannot be avoided.
Follow the rules:
- Do not wax or shave the legs 2 weeks before going to the beautician.
- Refuse antibiotics and anticoagulants 14 days before the procedure.
- 5 days before the session, do not apply untested cosmetics on the skin of the legs: creams, gels, scrubs. Completely exclude the use of alcohol-containing lotions and other drugs.
If your leg hair is too long, you should shave it off or trim it to 2mm 2 days before laser hair removal. Long hairs are heated by the machine, which can cause burns. If you plan on complete laser hair removal, you need to shave the entire area.
Immediately before the procedure, you need to cleanse the skin of the legs from cosmetics. Some beauty salons offer an “All Inclusive” service. The client does not need to first shave legs and cleanse the skin, the procedures are included in the cost of the service.
Carrying out laser hair removal
First of all, the beautician will determine the skin type in order to select equipment. Some salons use only one type of laser, others have several in their arsenal:
- Diode laser qualitatively removes hair follicle along with dark hair, but on light skin.
- Alexandrite will cope with both light and dark hairs, it is used for the treatment of light blond and reddish hair.
- Neodymium laser is the most effective one, it allows you to fight hair of any type.
Cosmetologists choose one of the laser types or combine them for the best result.
Each device is set according to the parameters: intensity, wavelength. The setting is needed so that the effect on the hairs is as effective as possible, and safe.
The procedures differ in type:
- Traditional. The device burns out hairs located at a depth of 4 mm with thermal energy, hair follicles are destroyed completely or partially.
- Elos hair removal. Combines skin treatment with laser and electric diode. Allows you to penetrate deep into the epidermis up to 8 mm. The follicles have no chance to survive.
- Qool. High speed epilation with increased intensity. The treatment is faster, but the procedure is not suitable for light hairs.
Further, the procedure takes place in 4 stages:
- At a high pain threshold, pain relievers are applied. The skin of the legs is treated with a gel that promotes deep penetration of the beams of the laser device.
- Special protective glasses are put on the patient’s eyes.
- The beautician begins to process the hairs by bringing the handle of the device alternately to the skin at a distance of 2-3 cm.
- The specialist goes through the zone in 1-2 seconds, proceeding to another.
To prevent inflammation and burns, at the end of the session, the skin of the legs is treated with Panthenol or another similar drug.
The procedure of legs laser hair removal completely takes up to 1.5-2 hours, the treatment of small areas will be faster.
How many procedures are needed and what is the interval between them
After the first session of legs laser hair removal up to 25% of the hairs are removed. Within 7-10 days small hairs begin to fall out. To achieve the maximum effect, the procedure should be repeated after 4-6 weeks, when new hairs enter the growth stage.
The third time you need to go to the session in 6-8 weeks, the fourth – after 8-10. In total, you will need from 6 to 10 visits, and then a preventive treatment of the area once a year.
However, a specialist will describe the schedule of procedures more accurately. The number of procedures and the interval between them depends on the individual characteristics of the body.
Legs after laser hair removal need good care. Despite the safety and painlessness of the sessions, clients may experience minor burns. The problem area should be treated with pain relieving, restorative and anti-inflammatory drugs.
It is also important to consider these rules when performing laser hair removal of the legs:
- Regularly apply light moisturizing and nourishing creams, gels, masks. Do not use oily products, they will clog the pores of the skin, which will lead to inflammation.
- For 14 days, protect the skin from direct sunlight: choose appropriate clothing, apply sunscreen.
- A visit to a bath, a sauna and taking a hot or contrast shower is excluded. Experts recommend giving up water procedures in the first 7 days after the session.
- Do not take antibiotics, anticoagulants or hormones for 10-14 days.
- Do not use peelings or scrubs for 7-14 days.
- Do not shave or epilate the treated skin with home remedies immediately after the procedure.
- Sessions of foot massage, even therapeutic, are prohibited.
- Strong physical activity is excluded. Exercise leads to intense work of the sweat glands, which further irritates the skin.
In between laser hair removal, you can remove unwanted hair only with a razor. Sugaring and waxing will harm further high-quality hair removal.
Laser hair removal for legs is an effective and safe way to completely eliminate unwanted hairs. The effectiveness of the sessions depends largely on the attentive attitude to your own body. With a competent approach to the cosmetology course, clients manage to forget about hair forever.