For a long time, total methods of removing unwanted hair from the body, which effect was preserved for several years, were considered only a salon procedure. However, now there are devices that can be used on your own. Thus, photoepilation at home is one of the most widespread techniques that girls have started to practice. With proper compliance with the algorithm of the technique, it will remove the hair completely painlessly forever.
Principle of performance
Before using a photoepilator at home, it is important to understand the essence of its work and the features of removing hair from the body by this method.
The essence of photoepilation is based on the usage of high-pulse beams of light that the device emits to the treated area. This light is absorbed by melanin, a pigment that provides growth and restoration of hair. The rapid influx of heat to the pigment leads to its spontaneous destruction, which provides the death of the hairs. Because of the fact, that there is not enough melanin in light hair, photoepilation at home will only have a positive result if it is performed on dark hair.
How to choose photoepilator correctly
To avoid problems during and after epilation, it is important to pay attention to the choice of device.
In choosing a device, consider three parameters:
- Treatment area. It depends on which areas you plan to remove the hair.
- The power of the flashes. The average pulse power is 5 Joules per square centimeter. It is appropriate for the treatment of most areas. The device with too low or high power should not be taken.
- The speed of flashes generating. The higher the speed is, the faster you will be able to remove unwanted body hair.
- Additional functions. Lighting, sliding, size, and other indicators that can help you with the procedure, or they can complicate it on the contrary.
The price is not always a key indicator in choosing a model, it is better to research the reviews on it in more detail.
Popular brands of IPL devices
To make the photoepilation at home absolutely safe and effective, pay attention to the following brands of devices for removing unwanted hair:
Despite high price of the device, home photoepilation as a result will be cheaper than salon in any case.
Effectiveness of home devices on different body areas
The main condition for effective usage of the photoepilator is dark hair on the body. In this case, regardless of the treated area, the device will allow you to remove unwanted hair from it in a few sessions.
Before using the photoepilator, make sure that it is suitable for all areas: face, arms, legs, stomach, back, bikini.
However, keep in mind that photoepilation mostly does not help to remove the hair from the face, because there they are quite thin and light. In this case, even salon photoepilation will not suit you.
In other areas, even home photoepilation copes perfectly. It can differ from the salon procedure only by the time spent on removing the hair, as the power of devices used at home is often lower.
To ensure the effectiveness of the procedure and prevent the occurrence of side effects after treatment, you should pay attention to the preliminary preparation of the skin.
Recommendations for preparation are the same as before epilation in the salon:
- You should not sunbathe in two weeks before;
- For 3-4 days before the procedure, give up any methods of hair removal;
- The day before, use a scrub to remove keratinized epithelial cells;
- Directly before the procedure, thoroughly wash the work area and wipe it dry with paper towels.
You cannot do the procedure during pregnancy, as well as while taking antibiotics, otherwise photoepilation will not be effective for you, and its implementation may affect your health.
How to do the procedure at home
After preparing the skin for the procedure, pay attention to the correct setting of the photoepilator. To do this, read the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations for selecting the mode.
Using the device in intimate areas or on the face, you should choose a delicate mode that will be safe for sensitive skin.
Then follow the algorithm for how to do photoepilation at home:
- Apply a cooling gel for photoepilation to the skin.
- Put on safety glasses.
- Start using the device. Move it smoothly over the skin while holding the ON button, or move it intermittently from one treatment area to another.
- At the end of the procedure, remove the remaining gel from the skin and clean the nozzle.
- Wash off all the hairs from the treated area.
- After the procedure, apply Bepanten or Panthenol to the skin to relieve inflammation.
Usually treatment of one zone at home takes up to half an hour, so there is no need to rush while using the photoepilator.
If you feel discomfort, burning, or a sudden influx of heat to the skin that causes you pain while using the device, you should change the power of the device or its mode. With proper epilation, you should not feel almost any sensations.
Skin care after the procedure
Despite the absolute safety of photoepilation, it is recommended to provide the skin with proper care after it. This is necessary for both after salon procedure or home.
You need to start after care immediately after the procedure:
Apply Bepanten or Panthenol to restore the structure of the treated area;
- Drink at least one and a half liters of clean water every day to ensure that enough liquid reaches the skin and speed up the hair removal process;
- Do not use sauna, pool or bath for a day. Also, for one day, you should not take a hot shower/bath and apply any cosmetics to the skin (including perfume);
- Avoid using cosmetics that contain alcohol;
- During the course of treatment, You should avoid sunbathe.
You should also reduce any stress on sensitive skin. To do this, do not use aggressive scrubs, washcloths, brushes, or rough towels.
How many sessions will be needed?
As a standard, one course of photoepilation includes 8-15 sessions, the number of which depends on the area of the procedure, as well as the structure and color of the unwanted hair.
If we talk about how often you can do photoepilation, cosmetologists recommend making it once every 1-1. 5 months. This regularity of the treatment will ensure an effective result of hair removal forever.
Keep in mind that after the first session, you will notice the result. After a few days, the hair will begin to fall out, and grow back only partially.
Photoepilation will help you remove unwanted hair from your body, as well as maintain the health and integrity of sensitive skin. If the procedure is done correctly at home, it will not cause you any painful sensations and will not leave any unpleasant consequences.