Fighting unwanted hair on the body is the prerogative of every woman. However, despite the fact that there are many ways to remove hairs, most woman still use only a razor. In this article, we will consider the main types of hair removal methods that you can perform even at home.
- What is hair removal (depilation)?
- The difference between depilation and epilation
- Types of hair removal that can make your skin perfect
- Shaving areas with foam, gel and razor
- Apply and remove hair removal cream
- Sugaring application
- Hair removal with silk or cotton thread
- What type of hair removal suits best for different areas
- Essential products for the body before and after the procedure
What is hair removal (depilation)?
Depilation is a cosmetic procedure aimed at removing hairs from the surface of the skin. To do this, only the upper part of the hair, which is above the skin, is cut or destroyed.
Due to such partial elimination of unnecessary hair, the effect of the procedure lasts up to 2-3 days, and then bristles appear on the skin.
But keep in mind that depilation methods are different, so for yourself you can choose the most effective or easy-to-follow options.
The difference between depilation and epilation
Despite the similar names of methods for removing hair from the body, depilation and epilation are fundamentally different methods.
If depilation involves removing only the upper part of the hair, then during epilation, the hair is torn out along with the root. Due to this, the hair needs more time to recover, so the result of smooth skin can last up to a month.
Because of this, hair removal epilation is more painful than hair removal depilation, so pain relievers are often used.
Types of hair removal that can make your skin perfect
The most effective hair removal method is one that will not only quickly remove unwanted hair from the body, but will also have the maximum smooth skin effect.
There are a lot of types of hair removal, so it is not difficult to choose this method. Let’s consider the main methods.
Shaving areas with foam, gel and razor
Out of all the methods of hair removal, shaving is the most common. This is due to the availability of the method and the ease of its implementation at home. Application of a razor usually takes for a woman 5-10 minutes, and the effect lasts up to 1-2 days.
However, to prevent skin irritation, it is important to follow some shaving guidelines:
- Pre-steam the skin in hot water;
- Apply a foam or depilatory gel to the epidermis. This will improve the glide of the razor, which will simplify the procedure;
- Gently move the razor along the growth of the hairs. The sharp blade will remove unwanted hairs in 2-3 times, making the skin absolutely smooth;
- Rinse off any remaining foam or gel.
It is important to follow the correct direction of the shaver. Despite the fact that it is more convenient to use it against hair growth, this method will be the most ineffective. It also increases the likelihood of ingrown hairs and skin irritation.
Not everyone knows what is better for hair removal with a razor – disposable or reusable ones. In fact, there is a high likelihood of skin irritation when using a disposable razor, so it is better to buy a more expensive unit and then just change the blades.
Apply and remove hair removal cream
Also, at home, woman often use a special cream to get rid of unwanted hair. It also destroys the outer part of the hair, as well as 1 mm from its base, which increases the long-term preservation of the result.
The breakdown of hair by the cream is achieved by partially removing keratin, which is responsible for hair growth.
The algorithm for using the cream is quite simple:
- First, the skin is washed, wiped dry and treated with a disinfectant solution.
- Hair removal cream for hair growth is applied to the treated area with a layer of 1-2 mm.
- After 10-15 minutes (the standard time is indicated on the package), the cream is removed with a special spatula together with the hairs in the opposite direction.
- The remains of the cream are washed off.
- A soothing lotion is applied to the skin.
Using the cream is quite simple due to the fact that it removes hairs over the entire application area, even in hard-to-reach places (especially for the armpits).
However, keep in mind that you first need to pay attention to the choice of composition for hair removal cream. Only a hypoallergenic safe cream will help to safely remove hairs without disturbing the water balance of the epidermis and without causing irritation.
The result of the procedure usually lasts 4-5 days, but with regular use of the cream, the effect can reach up to two weeks.
Sugaring is a less popular, but also quite effective way of getting rid of unwanted body hair. It looks like a viscous base of a rather dense consistency, which envelops the hairs and captures them when the sugaring is torn off.
The effectiveness of sugaring is quite high relative to other methods of hair removal- the hairs usually begin to grow back only after 2 weeks.
However, in order to obtain an ideal result, it is important to follow all stages of the procedure:
- First, the skin is steamed, wiped dry and treated with disinfecting solution.
- Immediately before the procedure, the epidermis should be sprinkled with talcum powder.
- A little bit of sugaring is collected with a spatula and spread in a thin layer over the skin against hair growth.
- Without lifting the spatula from the sugaring, pull it sharply in the opposite direction. After 2-3 tears, the base should completely detach from the skin.
- Repeat the manipulations if necessary.
- Re-treat the skin with disinfecting solution.
Not everyone will be able to do the hair removal in this way and gently rip off the material, so you can use the bandage technique. To do this, after spreading the sugaring paste over the skin with a thin layer, fix a paper or fabric stip on the sticky base. Smooth it down carefully and pluck it along with unnecessary hairs.
Hair removal with silk or cotton thread
This method is used to remove unnecessary facial hair. Instead of using tweezers to correct the shape of the eyebrows, you can remove them with silk or cotton thread. With the correct execution of the procedure, it will take only 3-4 minutes.
The procedure is not so simple:
- Before starting, make-up should be removed from the treated area, and then treated with disinfecting solution.
- A special cosmetic thread is cut to a length of 20-30 cm, and then tied in a knot, forming a single circle.
- Twist the thread into a figure eight and twist it several times.
- Place the larger side of the loop over the area to be removed. The fingers in the small loop need to move like scissors. So the thread will create tension on the hairs and gradually pull them out.
- After the procedure, re-treat the skin with disinfecting solution and apply a soothing lotion.
First, try to practice the procedure on a safer area, such as your leg. With a little practice, you will understand how the technique works and you can use it to correct your brows.
What type of hair removal suits best for different areas
You need to choose which hair removal method is best, depending on the area from which you want to remove unnecessary hairs. The optimal Hair removal option will depend on the sensitivity of the area, the stiffness and amount of hair growth.
Let’s analyze the main areas for hair removal.
|Area||The most suitable method|
|Face||Hair removal cream or cosmetic thread|
|Legs||Sugaring or razor|
|Underarms||Hair removal cream|
|Bikini||Sugaring or razor|
|Back, Stomach||Hair removal cream|
If you use one method of removing hair for a long time, the hairs will begin to get used to it, and its effectiveness will begin to decrease, so it is periodically recommended to use other methods of hair removal.
Essential products for the body before and after the procedure
To ensure perfect smoothness of the skin after hair removal procedure and to prevent irritation, it is important to pay attention to skin care before and after the procedure.
To prepare your skin for procedure, the following products can be useful:
- Natural scrub – to prepare the skin for hair removal procedure, it is used one day before;
- Disinfectant solution;
- Talc or baby powder (when using waxing or sugaring);
- Shaving foam or gel.
Also, after completing the procedure, it is important to provide the treated area with proper care using the following components:
- Disinfecting solution;
- Soothing lotion after hair removal;
- Cream against ingrown hair;
- Bepanten or Panthenol (for skin damage).
Also, after hair removal procedure, you should refuse to use bath, sauna or pool for a day.
The best hair removal option is the one that will not only help you get rid of unwanted hair on the body for a long time, but also that is absolutely safe and painless. Choosing a hair removal method at home is easy enough, since they are suitable for different zones, but when performing them it is important to follow all the recommendations in order to avoid irritation of the sensitive area.