One of the important factors of grooming is smooth and pleasant skin. And not only in those areas that are visible to others. Hair removal in the bikini area is one of the most common procedures in beauty clinics and beauty salons. However, this delicate area requires a special approach. How to choose a procedure that is right for you, what type of hair removal is better and more effective, all of those answers and many more you will find in this article.
- Intimate epilation or depilation. What is the difference?
- Types of bikini hair removal: choosing the best option
- Bikini waxing
- Deep bikini sugaring
- Laser hair removal
- Deep bikini electrolysis
- Deep bikini photo epilation
- Enzyme Bikini Hair Removal
- Contraindications to deep bikini epilation
- Professional tips for bikini hair removal
Intimate epilation or depilation. What is the difference?
Many do not know the difference of these terms. However, to choose the procedure that is right for you, it is better to understand these terms. And the difference is in the removal method.
Bikini epilation is the removal of hair in the intimate area along with the root, bulb, or how to properly call it a follicle.
Depilation is the removal of hair that is located exclusively above the surface of the skin.
- Clipping hair with scissors;
- Hair removal with creams;
- Chemical hair removal.
As for epilation, it includes many more procedures:
- Waxing of the intimate area;
- Sugar hair removal for bikini (sugaring);
- Laser hair removal;
- Photo epilation;
- Elos-hair removal;
- Enzymatic hair removal in the bikini area;
- Ultrasonic hair removal.
With all these types of both epilation and depilation, you can get rid of hair in the bikini area.
Depilation can be done at home. However, the effect from it is very short-lived. Smoothness of the bikini after shaving will be enough for a couple of days, then stubble will appear. In addition, shaving is often dangerous to cut your skin and increases the likelihood of ingrown hairs.
Almost the same story with creams and chemical depilation. At home, you can get a chemical burn or allergies.
With regard to epilation, things are better here. Often, hair removal is done in the salon by professionals who will save skin from micro trauma and recommend how to deal with ingrown hairs. Ingrown hairs in the bikini area are very unpleasant, so it’s best not to joke about it.
You can also epilate your bikini at home by using wax or sugar paste. However, you need to learn this and get your hands on it. There are also special epilators powered by electricity and photo epilators. If you have to do your own bikini hair removal at home, the sensations can be very painful, and besides, you simply may not know how to properly epilate the bikini area. The first time, until the hair is thinning and becomes thinner, it is better to go to beauty parlours.
Types of bikini hair removal: choosing the best option
If you have never done epilation in a beauty salon before, then first you need to decide which part of the intimate zone you want to remove hair from.
Yes, the fact is that there are several options for hair removal by zone:
- Classic – involves only hair removal along the swimsuit line, that is, quite a bit;
- Complete – almost complete removal of all hair;
- French – also involves the complete removal of hair, but leaving a thin long strip;
- Deep, Brazilian or Hollywood – one name for the complete removal of hair from the entire part of the intimate area, which includes the pubis, labia, as well as part of the buttocks and the space between them.
Often, the client comes for deep, Brazilian in order to completely remove hair from the intimate part. The trend for this began several years ago, before that French version was popular.
As for the choice, it all depends on the preferences of the client. Below you can study the description of each of them and decide on the most comfortable option.
One of the first types of hair removal, which still does not lose its relevance. With help of wax, people have been removing hair from their skin for more than one hundred, maybe a thousand years. Nowadays, it takes a completely different look, a special wax is made for such hair removal, there are techniques that specialists possess to avoid unwanted effects.
Specialist applies hot wax to skin against hair growth, and then pulls out the hair with progressive, sharp movements. The first times in the bikini area may seem very painful, but gradually the procedures will become more bearable, and the hair will be softer and softer.
Here are some points to know about waxing:
- It is better to do it in the salon. The wax should be of a certain temperature, if you don’t know how to heat it up correctly, you can harm your health;
- Deep bikini waxing will last a maximum an hour, very experienced specialists can do it in 15 minutes;
- The price is affordable, but it can range depending on materials used, the professionalism of the specialist and other factors;
- This type of hair removal is quite hygienic, in addition, peeling will be an additional advantage (along with hair, keratinized skin surface can be removed).
There are also dangers. If the specialist does not work properly, burns, allergies and ingrown hairs are possible. So be sure to check reviews before going on a hike.
Deep bikini sugaring
Here the main tool is sugar paste instead of wax. Bikini sugaring is a very popular procedure lately, partially because it is not as painful as waxing. Although experts admit that waxing is more hygienic, due to the fact that the sugar circle has to be constantly kneaded with your fingers. Knead a ball of sugar paste in hands, then apply it to the skin against hair growth and pull out the hair with forward movements. Its effect lasts for about 2-6 weeks.
Important points that you need to know before visiting a specialist:
- At the first visit to the beauty parlor, the length of the hairs should not be less than 8 mm, this is approximately 1.5-2 weeks after shaving;
- Hair should not be too long, otherwise the process of getting rid of hair will be very painful;
- The procedure will last from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on the qualifications of the specialist;
- Its cost also varies, depending on the qualifications of the specialist and consumables;
- Sugaring is also useful as a scrub and peeling, the skin after it becomes soft and tender.
Your specialist will tell you about other recommendations. As for the soreness, it is much lower than from other methods of hair removal. And some clients find bikini sugaring a very pleasant procedure.
Laser hair removal
And now let’s have a look at more radical types of hair removal, one of which is laser. The effect of it will last much longer than sugaring or waxing, but there is no guarantee that with help of laser it will be possible to remove hair forever.
In addition, preparation for deep bikini laser hair removal will require more thorough preparation:
- A week before and after the procedure, do not sunbathe and use the sauna. It is also better to refrain from visiting the pool;
- Do not take antibiotics for 2 weeks; it is not recommended to take antibiotics of the tetracycline group;
- Do not use alcohol-containing care products for 3 days;
- Before laser, it is recommended to remove all hair with a razor.
You also need to know about some of the issues:
- One procedure is not enough, you will have to repeat it from 6 to 12 times;
- The gap between the visits should be somewhere around a 4-8 weeks;
- After completing the course of laser hair removal, you will still need to visit the beautician, but much less often, about once every six months in order to clean up the emerging hairs;
- Procedure time from 15 to 40 minutes.
Bikini laser hair removal will cost more than sugaring or waxing, but the effect is much better and longer. In addition, deep bikini laser hair removal is one of the safest hair removal procedures.
Deep bikini electrolysis
If there is a desire to get rid of hair forever, then only electrolysis will help. This is the only type of hair removal that will help you forget about the hair growth in the intimate area for life. However, this is the most difficult, long, painful and expensive option. The fact is that because of pain, the first procedure in the bikini area cannot be carried out for more than 15 minutes. Therefore, the first session, during which the entire zone will be processed, may take 3-4, or even 5 procedures, with a gap of a couple of weeks.
But the result is worth the money and time spent, after completing the course of electrolysis for 2 years, the hair disappears forever. Maximum you will have to do one procedure to get rid of single hairs.
Electrolysis also requires preparation:
- Do not sunbathe or visit a solarium for 3 weeks;
- After the procedure for a week, you will need to carefully care for the area of the skin on which the session took place, the first day cannot be wetted, you cannot use scrubs, it’s important to constantly wipe treated area with panthenol;
- In case of severe allergies and itching, you will need to take antihistamines for several days.
And here are a few facts you need to know about before going through the procedure:
- Electrolysis has many contraindications. You will need to consult a doctor before visiting a doctor’s office;
- After epilation, there will be most likely severe redness, itching, and also after a few days a crust will most likely appear, which should never be peeled off;
- It is necessary to visit specialist according to the schedule prescribed by them;
- Electrolysis is one of the most expensive types of hair removal.
Deep bikini electrolysis is the only type of hair removal that will make your skin smooth forever. The rest of the epilation cannot promise such effect.
Deep bikini photo epilation
Another type hair removal, and by the way, there are photo epilators for home use, although they are quite expensive. Such service is offered by most salons. There are no special differences with laser hair removal, only in the method of hair removal in intimate places, which is removed by using a special flash, acting on the hair follicle and heating melanin.
Enzyme Bikini Hair Removal
And here is one of the most unusual options. The fact is that it consists of several stages. First you need to do sugaring or waxing, and then apply a special enzyme cocktail to act on the hair follicles with enzymes and heat.
Often it is carried out in the winter, before preparing for the summer season. Two or three procedures will be enough to forget about your hair until next winter. Therefore, it is becoming more and more popular.
Contraindications to deep bikini epilation
First of all, you should not visit the beautician if you have genital herpes, in which case it is forbidden to carry out any type of deep bikini epilation. There are no other contraindications for hair removal with wax and sugar, but it is better to refrain from the procedure for various genital infections, fungi and inflammations.
Contraindications to laser, electro- and photoepilation:
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus;
- Any acute infectious diseases.
However, for electrolysis, this one expands even more:
- Oncology and blood diseases;
- Hepatitis and HIV;
- Varicose veins;
- Any skin diseases, including chronic ones;
- Tendency to scar formation;
- Cardiovascular diseases;
- Implantation of gold threads;
- Intolerance to electric current.
In any case, if you have any pathologies, you should first consult your doctor before performing electrolysis.
Professional tips for bikini hair removal
Of course, all hair removal options are very different and each requires its own approach. But there are several recommendations that will help determine, as well as extend the effect for longer:
- If you have light hair, it is better not to carry out laser hair removal, because it will not be effective (although very few people have light and thin hair on the intimate area);
- Between procedures, with the permission of the doctor, constantly exfoliate the skin, this will help get rid of the risks of ingrown hair;
- It is better to stop drinking alcohol the day before visiting the treatment room;
- Consult with your specialist on which day of the cycle it is better to undergo a session to reduce pain;
- If the choice fell on electrolysis, it is worth discussing with your doctor the possible options for pain relief (injections, sprays and ointments, tablets).
Bikini epilation is a procedure for those who need to always feel confident and at their best, both on the beach among people, in bed with a loved one, and in the shower alone. But the choice should be taken seriously, it is even possible to go through several epilation options to choose the one you need.